Sunday, October 07, 2007

Happy Anniversay to Us!


23 years ago, I met a man at a bar. I thought he was cute, but possibly not very smart. My friend told me that he HAD to be smart if he went to the Naval Academy, but I thought they might have made a mistake --- he kept repeating the same questions to me over and over, like he had no memory. (Found out later, it was the many, many drinks that caused that.)

He said that night he and Jeff each thought the other had gotten our phone numbers .... well there was no way I would have given a guy from a bar my phone number. I worked a week of night shift and then we went to a wonderful little town in Indiana to celebrate my Pappy and Granny's anniversary. That would be a time shown in one of the pictures in previous blog posting. Came back in town and worked more night shifts before I was able to go out again. Funny thing was that I had lots of friends tell me that guy John kept asking them about me. He apparently kept going back to several of the local "dancing spots" looking for me. :)

Finally, I had a night out and was looking for my girlfriend whom I was supposed to be meeting. As I rounded the corner, I saw that hunky looking naval aviator turning around from the bar. I said, "Hi!" and he just stared at me and didn't say anything. I then said, "I'm sorry, I thought I knew you" and turned, embarrased, to walk away. My arm was grabbed and he said, "Lorie, where have you been?"

Well, I didn't know it, but my single days were over from that time forth. I fell and I fell hard. I used to wonder if a certain guy was the right one and wonder if I was really in love. Well, I have told my girls, when it is the real deal, you know it. After 3 months I was so in love with him and fortunately the feeling was mutual. Once he told me he loved me, he opened the faucet and I told him, and told him, and told him. It is a wonder he didn't turn tail and run.

Today, I still tell him over and over and over. I mean, who couldn't love this hunk of macho man?

Happy Anniversary John, in case you don't know....... I love you!!!!

10 comments:

  1. I love it!!! Thank you for sharing! And now the mystery is over!!
    Congratulations you two!
    Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha ... I decided I had to do quick and short. No way I could compete. You know what I mean.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:49 AM

    Oh my goodnes! I had no idea how you had met. How romantic that he kept looking for you and thinking about you!! oh yeah,, that;s what I am talking about!!!
    Happy Anniversary to both of you!
    Love you both,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Anniversary, Lorie and John! Us old folks know that being married is actually hard work, even when you are totally and completely in love. You guys are living proof of your love AND your work, truly wonderful examples for your children and family. Best wishes and much love to you both, paula

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks guys!! Sorry the story wasn't as long and in depth as PW, but geez, who can compete with that!?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:18 PM

    HAPPY ANNIVERSARY LORIE AND JOHN!!!
    Lorie, I have to tell you, every time I see a wedding picture of you and John I think of Granny. I can remember going over to their house soon after she received pictures from the wedding. She was so proud of them! She would sit down with me to look at them, and would explain each photo. I can still hear her laughter in my head as she would talk about the one where you were being hit on the butt with a sword. She thought that was so funny! I love you guys! You and John are one of those couples in our family that we all look up to and admire...and adore!
    Lesley

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww....Lesley that makes me smile so much. It is funny you had a Granny story, after that is where I was after I met him. Obviously, Granny and Pappy were special to us, considering that is where I told John I wanted to go for our "Honeymoon". People thought I was so weird. But, I wanted him to meet them.
    Thanks for the nice things you said about us. That means a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  8. you guys are alright...I guess....its no big deal :)haha. I hope that one day I am lucky enough to have what you two have. You have set such a great example and standard for what I want my life to be like. It is so nice to KNOW that my parents are just as in love, if not more so, as when they got married. Thank you for showing me what real love is and what I have to look forward to (hopefully)! I love you both so much!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now, that is what it is all about!! Thanks Dani, I love you and know you will find someone who is almost worthy of you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ya'll are killing me here! First with the Granny laughter and now with Dani's you-two-are-awesome-love-bird-role-models.
    You made me get all teary!...and I have had PLENTY of that this weekend!!
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete