Sunday, August 05, 2007

And The Adventure REALLY begins!!

Well, last night and today has been an adventure.

We said goodbye to everyone and John came to my hotel room to spend the last night in a little nicer place. My roomie and her husband (John's teammate) left in the afternoon. We gave our government international phone back and went on our way.

Well, at 11 PM, John started throwing up and hadn't stopped at 2 AM. He had lost everything he had in him and he was dehydrated to begin with. It always takes him about 2-3 days to completely rehydrate after these events. I was afraid we couldn't make our flights in 12 hours and had no way of contacting the US people still here.

Well, I emailed several of them just in case and Trey's wife saw the email (she is in Texas) and called her husband as he and three of the teammates were heading out the door to go to the airport for their flight. They came to the hotel to leave a phone with me and see what they could do. They couldn't do anything as the crazy military flights could only be changed if he took the same route home. That meant he couldn't leave until Thursday the 9th.

Well, he finally stopped throwing up, but had to totally stop taking sips of anything. We decided our best bet was to get him on the flight if at all possible. He was walking so slow and very glazed looking. I had to leave an hour before him, but I left him sitting at his gate with a bunch of German competitors. I knew they would take care of him, if he couldn't make it.

I am in a hotel in Amsterdam overnight and won't be home until tomorrow night. Dani has talked to him when he made it to Germany and was getting ready to board the plane to Chicago. He said it was a miserable flight and he is barely able to walk. I talked to him through Dani and told him to go to a clinic in Frankfort and forget the flight, but he would not do that. We had talked about that would be a better place for medical treatment than Latvia.

He has not been able to hold anything down. I will be happy when he is in the states and am glad that if he gets sick on this plane, at least they will let him off on American soil. ha

I originally thought it was food poisoning, but found out that several of the other competitors were also sick. They did not eat the same food on Saturday, as the US team ate off base. So, I do not know what bug he has, but it was awful!!!!

Well, our journey is ending. Until the next one.......

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:07 PM

    my poor Daddy....it breaks my heart hearing him like this. He is miserable. No matter what he tells anyone...he is sooo sick. Dont let him act tough when asked about it!!! He will be mad at me and mom for telling people but who cares!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He needs to toughen up. Suck it up. Wah wah wah. I haven't thrown up in 22 years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom and I are wondering when the last time you "threw down"?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:11 AM

    Okay, Update needed. Is John home yet? Is he doing better?
    Love you all,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have not "thrown down" in quite a while. Probably a few weeks.

    ReplyDelete