Monday, January 14, 2008

Turning Over a New Leaf

Okay, so when I was first married I used to plan and fix yummy homecooked meals all the time for the love of my life. Well, as my kids were born and got busy and picky, I found I slowly transitioned to more kid friendly meals, then as they got older and more busier and I started working, it got harder and harder to plan anything. I was getting home late, kids were ready to eat or not home until really late because of their sports. It got to where we had more and more convenience foods. Homecooked meals turned into Stouffers lasagna, Spaghetti, grilled cheese, eggs or anything quickly thrown together.

Well, I decided to get back into the swing of real cooking. I have a husband and one child at home who really loves homecooked meals and one young man who would rather me just let him eat mac and cheese and just leave him alone. But CJ is coming along. Since XMas, I have been planning on Saturdays and preparing the night before what needs to be done the next day. I have made my kids wait a little while if supper isn't ready quite when they are ready. In the past, they were all starving and by the time I would get home, they had helped themselves to waffles, cereal, or whatever they decided they wanted to eat. Now, they have a little snack if they have to and then wait.

In the last 2 weeks, I have made:

  • Meatloaf
  • Shells and Cheese Chicken Casserole
  • Pork Chops and Gravy
  • Creamed Spinach Spaghetti
  • Beef Stoghanoff
  • Beef and Gravy
  • Impossible Ham and Cheese Pie
  • Taco Pie
  • Homemade Pizza

Of Course, we had lots of side vegetables
  • Potatoes - mashed, sliced, baked
  • Noodles
  • Corn
  • Green Beans
  • Green Bean Casserole
  • Peas
  • Salad

So, keep your fingers crossed and pray that this continues for me. Tomorrow night is Roast with potatoes and carrots. Wed. night I have taken pity on my son and told him we would have grilled ham and cheese sandwiches and mac and cheese.

Happy Cooking.

2 comments:

  1. Good for you! I wish you the best with this new leaf thingy...I think I will stick to cereal and grilled cheese...haha!! Nah, I am just kidding....well kinda!
    I do not have kids in school or sports yet, but I can empathize with the work and running and hubby getting home at a different time every night. I wish you good luck! You go girl!! (That doesn't sound right coming from me, does it??)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am always up for some good, yet easy recipes. Any of the ones you mentioned fit the bill? If so, please pass along......

    Love, paula

    ReplyDelete